Saturday 14 June 2014

World cup done - now to get home...


Updates on this trip haven't exactly been consistent - finding free Wi-Fi has proven difficult, and to be honest, our days have been filled with racing, sleeping and foraging for food I can stomach. Thankfully, I filled my bag with protein bars from Canada - they're almost all gone ;)

Team Canada ended up with a respectable 3rd place overall (based on points) in the world cup - taking home two silver medals and three bronze. Our showing wasn't what the team or the coach wanted, but, considering how the team was brought together to race internationally, never having paddled together, we must accept that our results are good - all things considered. 

I must say though - it was tough standing on that podium and not singing along to the Canadian national anthem. For that reason, I'm going to step up my training to ensure that I'm on the National team for 2015 - and get to sing once more :)

We were supposed to have left yesterday, early morning, but our flight was cancelled and I am now hanging out in Beijing awaiting my outbound flight. If I had more time, I would go to the wall, but it just isn't feasible this trip. I've seen it before, but my travel companions haven't, so that would have been nice :)

Yesterday I spent the day wandering around Fuzhou. I spent a significant amount of time in a park adjacent to the hotel. They had a dragonboat museum there with the traditional teak boats. It was a sight to see, and a bit of an honour to pay homage to my sports beginnings. 

Later that afternoon, I was walking my some locale having tea and they invited me to join. I spent two hours chatting with them using a translation app on an iPad, and drinking white tea. It was possibly one of the coolest experiences I have had while travelling. It was great to have that opportunity because I was alone and not at the whim of travel mates. 

I will post some pictures when I get home, but for now here are some pics of our medals, and the locals who invited me to tea. 


No comments:

Post a Comment