Wednesday 31 July 2013

Canada Premier Women dominated the 500m

‎I know that this post is delayed, but for what it's worth.....

Our 500m‎ races were fantastic. Wonderful. Powerful yet not panicked. Oh - and Premier Women came out on top or the podium - by a rather large margin of about 1 second!! 

Our first heat was exactly how a heat should be. Fast enough to get you top position in the final, but not so fast that you risk burning out. My nerves were on fire because I knew that after the 200m performance we had the day before(for which I still can't stop smiling)‎ - we had to prove that our win was not an accident - that we were meant to be on top. 

Needless to say, the heat was great and seeded us against China and US as our main competitors in the final. We had a very strong start and apparently we lead the race out of the starting gate and then turned on the power for our finish. Our caller kept saying "China is making their move, I need you now" and the boat responded right away with pure force of will striving to get us to the end of the race. With every stroke, our caller would yell "give me another seat" and the boat would respond. It was fantastic. 

In the end I believe we finished 1/2 a boat length ahead, which is huge in the main distance of a Premier boat at the ‎world championships. Our coach was ecstatic, as was the entire team. It's probably one of the best races I have had in my life, and I'm absolutely honored to have been a part of this National team experience in Hungary. 

Right now, I am in Budapest taking in the sites and the atmosphere. This city is quickly becoming one of my favorite in the world - more on that to come.

----

In case you are interested in a little read, myself and two of my teammates were featured in a two page article in the Ottawa Citizen : http://www2.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/sports/story.html?id=ad94ad56-6fa3-47e7-b383-9b47641656a8




No comments:

Post a Comment