Saturday 11 August 2012

NaPali challenge here we come!

It's 5:30 am and I'm up, getting some Kona coffee into my system and getting myself mentally prepared to race the 40 -ish miles from Hanalei to Waimea around Kauai island in a six man outrigger canoe.

If you had asked me five years ago if I ever saw this in my future, or any of my other recent paddling exploits, I would have said you were crazy. I have been introduced to new sports (sprint dragonboat and outrigger), introduced to new groups of people who have pushed me to push myself, and I have the good fortune that good marital/family support can encourage you to try new things. Three years of journey and I feel like its just the beginning.

I read a quote recently that seems fitting:

" I don't believe you have to be better than everybody else. I believe you have to be better than you ever thought you could be".


As an end note, wishing some great water and power to my friends racing in Calgary at the world outrigger sprints.

No comments:

Post a Comment