Friday 5 August 2011

Day 2 of racing

And.... yesterday was another wonderful day for Canadian crews at the 2011 IDBF World Championships!

Unfortunately I don't have a picture of our medal count whiteboard to provide the run-down, but I believe we were somewhere in the range of an additional 6 gold medals, plus some silvers and bronzes. The crews are really strong (all around), so it's nice to see the hard work from all of the Canadian athletes paying off.

I'm also very very very happy to announce that the premier women doubled their gold medal count to 2!!!

Yesterday featured a 1000m heat and a 1000m final. We had some issues with the start on the first heat (they are held starts and the floating dock got in the way on the right side) - but we still managed to cross the finish line without needing a "finish" and came first by about a boat length. The 1000m final was a bit tighter, but the Canadian crew prevailed and crossed first :)

Surprisingly (I think to anyone/everyone who went to Macau), the Chinese premier women's crew doesn't seem as strong as they were last summer. BUT .... today is another day, and different races, and I hope I don't eat my last words....

Today we're gearing up for some FAST 200m. I'm hoping to cross the finish line in about 47 seconds... we'll see how that goes. The stroke rate is going to be fast (approx 95 strokes per minute), so as a crew, we need to make them snappy and STRONG. Can't wait to have our drummer swearing at us again (not sure about the readers out there - but I LOVE when the caller swears at us.... get's me going!!)

Wish us luck! First race is at 1:10 - they were running early yesterday so if you wanted to watch the live stream, tune in early perhaps? Semi is at 2:20 (if we don't come first in our heat), final is at 3:50 or 4:00.





No comments:

Post a Comment